
I apologize for my lack of posts! Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse until the semester draws to a close. My graded memo (actually, first graded law school assignment period) is due on November 24th, so I have been and will be working on nothing but that in the upcoming weeks. It's so important to me that I get an A in Legal Writing, and this memo is my only shot! After the memo, my main focus until Christmas break will be outlining and studying for exams. I promise I'll be back to my blog-happy self on December 23rd, though!
For those of you in law school, how much time did you spend on your first graded memo? By the way, I refer to this assignment as my "graded" memo because we have had other memos due this semester that have basically been trial runs. Anyway, in the past I usually spent about 5-6 hours on research and synthesis of the law. This time around, though, I'm a bit worried because I've already clocked about ten hours of research, reading through cases, outlining my ideas, making handy little synthesis charts to keep all the cases straight, etc. I haven't even written a single word of the memo. I guess I'm wondering, is this a good or bad thing? If it helps, I am dealing with two issues. First, civil liability under Iowa's Dram Shop Act, and second, timely notice requirements for bringing a Dram Shop action. Under these issues, I have a few subheadings to deal with, which I think is the reason my research is taking so long. I feel like I'm on the right track, but there are some over-achievers in my section who already done with their memo. Seriously?! I honestly think the people who have already finished have missed something in an effort to be the first person done. I think I'd rather take longer to complete a better memo.
Ah, I hate the uncertainty of law school!!!








15 comments:
I spent a lot of time on mine--but I did not let my other work suffer because of it. Two kids in R's class actually skipped classes around memo time. That is SO not necessary. I would try to not worry too too much about the grade, though. I got the highest grade in my legal writing class last year and got an 89 :( so it's something that you can't control. Just do your best and work on it until you think it won't get any better! Also, don't worry you're not done. You really shouldn't be at this point. I am a TA for 1Ls for their writing class and honestly those people who are overachievers and sent me 1738905786 drafts just annoy me and make me not want to help them. Just do your best, ask for help when you need it, and you will be fine!!
Good luck on your memo, I know you will rock it out!!
You can do this!!!
you can do it!!
don't let the kids who are "done" stress you out - the profs don't care how long it took, they just care that you do it right. and there's no suggestion that just because they're satisfied, the prof will be.
i did very poorly on my legal writing both semesters. very. both semesters, it was my lowest grade. i ended up doing *very* well in a few other classes - it isn't determinative. so while it is decidedly stressful, it's not the end of the world.
don't stress on the letter of the grade itself, focus on you. do as well as you can, and then it's out of your hands.
best of luck!!!
I spent so much time on mine. Like an embarassing amount. It was definitely worth the good grade though.
Admittedly, I still spend probably too much time researching things, even now that I'm done with law school. I'm just really thorough and like to cover all my bases. No one is complaining yet!
Welcome to the club- I probably spent over 20 hours on my first graded memo- it was on a covenant not to compete issue in an employment contract situation. Don't forget that your legal writing class is only one class...you gotta study for your finals too as painful as it is to pull away from your memo. Good luck!
I spent SO much time. Like, exorbitant amounts of time.
And I got a B+. Only one person in my 40 person legal writing section got an A. So, don't fret if you don't get an A....As your first year are definitely the exception not the rule.
Good luck!!!!
You can do it girlfriend!
Have a great weekend!
I spent ALOT of time researching. The way my school did it was that they would require you to have pieces written for each class, so it forced us to get something down on paper. That being said, it was sort of waste of time to write anything because I re-wrote alot of it.
I would not put a time limit on it. Have you done enough research where you feel like you are stumbling upon the same sources over again? Also, something to remember-the research process is sort of a spiraling process--so you may want to start writing, because you might end up realizing after you've started writing that you need to do more research on x specific area. I did a good amount of research, then started writing, then ended up and going back to do a little more research.
COMPLETELY understand your stress. It IS the most important class in law school in my opinion.
good luck!
My graded memo was due this past weekend. We didn't have to research for ours, though. Our library was still provided. (Although it was a lot less work, I was not thrilled with this. I've got to learn to look my own cases up at some point, don't I??) I'm worried about my grade, though, because my legal writing teacher is pretty picky. Good luck getting yours done!
Bless your heart! I feel like all post-undergraduate programs are difficult like this. I'm in a master's program right now and I am just constantly overwhelmed and stressed! I can't wait for a holiday break! Good luck with everything, I'm certain you can make it! I'm sending lots of encouragement your way! xoxo
it was my lowest grade. i ended up doing *very* well in a few other classes How to make a website
My advice is start pumping that research into an outline. I would organize mine my copying and pasting certain quotes or points I wanted to make in each section into the outline. To get started writing, I recommend just letting it flow and not get caught up with the cites right away. For citations, just use one name of the case and the page number, or what I do is have a list of sources cited in full bluepages form already written out, then just change the number as needed. This helps because it is easier to go back and shorten up cites once you are down and know what order they will all be in. I also recommend not waiting to edit until you are done with the memo--edit each time you finish a page or section. Also, when you are done, edit for grammar and BB by starting with the last page at least one time, so that all parts of the paper will get equal attention.
Good luck, and do not worry about 1L grades. I thought I did awful my first semester, no As at all, but I still made the law review.
Girl, not too long ago I was in my first year of law school! I remember exactly how you are feeling right now and exactly what you're going through! You will do great. Hang in there. Don't get so wrapped up in the memo that you forget to make some killer outlines, and at the end of the semester don't forget to breathe and, of course, celebrate! :)
Post a Comment