
Tonight I am waitressing during dinner for the first time by myself. That means my training is over! YIKES. I am so nervous. What really makes me nervous about the whole thing is the fact that we don't have any hostesses, bus boys, or food runners. The restaurant is small, so I am guessing they just have the waitstaff do all that stuff to cut costs. It just makes things more stressful for me that way.
The hardest thing for me so far has been knowing when to place the orders. It's all about timing, timing, timing! I watch the person I'm training with and they just seem to know exactly how to time the order, for example they understand when it's a good time to send in the entree order in relation to when the customers have finished their appetizers. That will hopefully be something that comes with practice.
There really is so much to get used to. Having worked a secretary/receptionist type job all through high school and college, I feel out of my element in a restaurant now. But I'll be okay! It's all about getting comfortable and then it should become second nature for me. If all else fails, I'll just smile, explain that I'm new, and hope that they have mercy on me :)
Off to school I go now. It's gonna be a LONG day...








5 comments:
Good luck, you will have it down in no time :)
good luck! you'll pick it up very quickly.
I waited tables for a bit, was head hostess, and did to-go while I was in college and grad school. Actually, I still do to-go at the restaurant I worked at to this day. You'll be fine. Just manage your time wisely and be efficient. If you're going to ring something in say at a register by the kitchen, take some plates with you as well, etc. It's not hard. It's easy money for the most part. I'm sure you'll do fine:) Keep us updated. Good luck on your first night and make lots of $$$!!!!!
oh my gosh, i HATED waitressing! it was good money and a fun atmosphere but i couldn't imagine having to do it again, ugh!
i'm having my first ever give*away if you are interested :)
Hope it went okay!
Post a Comment