Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Phi Alpha Delta



Today I joined Phi Alpha Delta, one of the two legal fraternities at my law school. If I'm being honest, I don't really know what it's all about. I do know, however, that it's a fun way to make new friends and participate in fun events during my years here. If it helps with job connections after graduation, that's not so bad either! ;) I didn't have any type of greek life during undergrad, so this is a new exciting chapter for me!

I put my name in to be the new chair of the Philanthropy committee, which is probably getting myself in over my head. We'll see how that goes. It's an appointed position so I might not even get it since I'm a 1L. If I do get it, I'll just have to find the time to do it well. Something I'm learning more and more in law school is that there's no time to sit around and mope that there aren't enough hours in the day. You either do what you have to do to the best of your ability and possibly feel wiped out at the end of the day, or you don't do much at all. I guess I would take being busy and wiped out over being bored, any day.

Are any of you members of PAD at your law school? Do you know members from other schools? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. Be honest, I want to know what I'm getting involved with here :)

10 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Um, it looked good on my resume and allowed me to do some community service?

Anonymous said...

I did it in undergrad to put on my resume for law school (they have pre-law chapters too). When I got to law school I was going to join, but even though I was a member of the national fraternity, they said I would basically have to pay all the fees of joining again since it was a different chapter.... so I elected to not do it.

It can't hurt to do it though!

Kassie said...

My brother joined when he was in law school--it's basically just a resume builder. However, at different schools it's different--his didn't really have many events. It seems like a great place to meet people!!

Danielle A. Curtiss, JD said...

I'm actually in the other law school fraternity-Delta Theta Phi.

I actually went to an info meeting for PAD at my school, and I just did NOT think the people in the group were friendly. Also, they seemed to be only concerned with building their resumes. Also, they were really into the outline-sharing--which I just don't get. After 1 year of law school under my belt, I still do not understand the benefit of sharing outlines. but i know each chapter is different.

LawGirl said...

It was a joke at my school. Very few people did it, and those who did just did it for the resume. They never had events or did any volunteering.

SouthernBelleJM said...

I wasn't in a sorority in undergrad. I joined JL this year and it makes me wish I would have. You might check out doing something like that if it's not too time consuming that is if you aren't satisfied with the law school one.

Nashe^ said...

We don't have sororities or frats in Singapore. Which is kinda sad coz I think I'd make a brilliant member. LOL

Not So Glamorous...Yet! said...

Congrats on joining PAD! We just initiated our new members this week too! Its a great organization if your local chapter is active!

J said...

PAD is the largest legal fraternity so it's a good idea to join it. I was the Justice of my chapter and the stats are like One in 5 or 6 lawyers was a member of PAD so it's great for networking.

We did events but our chapter was really small (like 25 members) because of our small student body.

It can be really great if you allow it to be.

As for outline sharing, it can be great. It's VERY important to do your own outlines but it doesn't hurt to check out someone else's to see if they worded it better or caught something you didn't.

Kristen said...

I am a member at my school... great resume builder, and I know with our chapter, there are great service opportunities in the community. Also, you now get a lifetime discount at Brooks Brothers (15%) which is pretty nice when trying to buy a work wardrobe :)