Sunday, August 30, 2009

Acme Pizza, Random Updates



Today, while at Acme, I decided to pick up a frozen pizza for C and I to have for lunch since we're pretty busy on Sundays. Well, the packaging looked SO promising and tasty. And for $5.99 how could we go wrong? Oh, we went wrong alright. We did NOT get the pizza on the package. Would you LOOK at that sorry excuse for an everything pizza? I see a total of about 6 peppers and maybe 5 onion slices on the entire thing. And don't even get me started on the olives. Not cool, Acme frozen pizza company, NOT COOL! I'm sticking with Digiorno next time I want some greasy frozen pizza lovin'....

ANYHOW, we're just lounging around today reading and prepping for classes to begin again tomorrow. I'm hoping to be done with my work by dinner so we can have our gin & tonics and just relax and play Wii all night!!!

The first week went pretty well and I have to say that I'm already starting to feel less out of place in law school. I'm learning to deal with the fact that most if not all of my time is consumed with reading. It's a lot of work (as so many of you know) but it really is doable if I am just accept the fact that this comes with the territory if I want to be a lawyer! It's only three years of my life and from what I've heard only one real year of hell (1L). I'm just used to being the smart kid in class. In high school and even college I was always the most prepared student for each class. At least in the subjects I really loved and was passionate about, I was always first to raise my hand and give an answer, etc etc. Yes, I was that person. Not so much in law school! People are such overachievers here it's ridiculous. Not to say that I'm not one myself, or that I didn't expect law school to be more challenging than undergrad, but I just wasn't expecting such a concentration of type-A, intelligent people all clamoring to be the smartest kid in the room. I certainly have my work cut out for me if I want to make law review.....

In the upcoming week I'll be posting some pictures of our apartment now that we're finally all settled in (five trips to target/wal-mart later...) I can't wait to show you our new digs!!! I'm in love with this place already :) It feels like home!!!!

Until next time,

12 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm so glad your 1st week went well. And yes, the 1st year is the worst, but it gets so much easier!! And I found law school to be a very humbling experience. I was always the "smart kid" too- not here. If I ever had an ego, it's very far gone. But it's healthy to learn how to deal with rejection, and to keep pushing yourself even though you're being told (viz grades, etc) that you're not as good as everyone else. You will come out of this a very strong, very capable person!!
And SUCH a bummer about your pizza... false advertising!!

Danielle A. Curtiss, JD said...

i think that has been the most challenging part of law school thus far for me: learing to spend ALL of my time with people who are all the exact same personality. i'm sure once you get used to it, you'll be that girl that always raises her hand. it takes time to get adjusted and feel comfortable :) [i am totally that girl in my classes! but i definitely took a few weeks to get adjusted to the setting!!]

LWLH said...

Glad to hear your first week is going good and can't wait to see pics of the new place! :)

Ashley said...

I hate that your pizza turned out crappy. I hate looking at the pictures on the box and then finding out the food is DEF. NOT what the pictures shows!

I am so happy your first week went so great! :) And that you are starting to feel less out of place. I know how you feel about the overachievers in class...that is how my graduate school classmates are.

Hope this week is just as good for you!

B said...

Sounds like a successful first week. You'll be comfortable soon and raising your hand like a pro.

Hope your second week goes well!

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

have you tried the new Kashi pizza?? its soo good! anxious to see pictures of your new pad!

d.a.r. said...

Hahah, you hit the nail on the head! It is so weird to go from being #1, to being one of many incredibly smart, Type A, overachievers. Talk about humbling...and nerve wracking! Don't worry, the reading really decreases after the first year. Actually, I', not sure if it does or if you just realize what you do/don't need to read. At the end of the first semester, I was already just book-briefing (aka, highlighting in different colors for the issue, rules of law, conclusion, etc. and taking notes in the margin). Saves tons of time, but definitely learn how to brief a case first :) It really does get tons easier, I promise. I don't think I did homework my 2L or 3L year with the exception of moot court stuff, or writing papers. You'll get the hang of it :)

Kassie said...

Congrats on your first week of school! You're exactly right--my brother just finished law school, and he said after 1L things are practically easy!

Blair @ Reasonably Swanky said...

i love your blog!

SouthernBelleJM said...

So glad your first week went well!!! You'll be fine. The bf and his father are both lawyers and I hear about law ALL the time. It's worth the work in the end. Trust me, I see LC's salary=)

very married said...

hahah - well, you DID buy a pizza with the same brand name as the dynamite from Looney Tunes.... ;)

Glad classes are going well. Law school suckks. I'm so glad I only have one more year!

Joy said...

Hi! Just ran across your blog and wanted to say hello. I have been practicing law now for 3 years and all I can say is it will go by sooner than you think! I loved law school and as soon as you get the hang of it, you'll be just fine! Hang in there and good luck!