Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday/Life updates...

-Tomorrow begins my last week of full time work at the law firm.

-I had a wonderful time at my going away cookout yesterday. Lots of people, especially family members, that I have not seen in many years came by to see me off! It was very special to me, but surreal at the same time. It really made me realize that not only am I moving 8 hours away from all of my family and friends, but I'm starting law school in a week. One week. Every time I say that out loud or even think it, I get this strange sensation in the pit of my stomach. I'm getting really emotional about the whole situation. Not to mention things are a little rocky with the boy right now. Everything feels so much more complicated now that we're moving in together. How do you have a fight with someone you're living with? This is so foreign to me. What will happen on friday when we pack up the Uhaul and move all our stuff into the same space? How much do things change at that point?

-I want to cry and laugh and scream at the same time. To say that my life as of late has been an emotional rollercoaster would be a very big understatement. Then I hear myself saying stupid cliche little things like that and I just want to slap myself for being such a drama queen. Argghh.

12 comments:

The Mothership Abroad said...

I hope everything works out with boy. Law School will be amazing I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Good luck with everything - I love reading your blog :)

d.a.r. said...

Okay I am soooo not trying to freak you out here, but prepare yourself for the 1L first semester fights. You will be stressed, a lot, and trying to figure out how to make it all work, how to juggle it all, etc. It is going to be a delicate balancing game. I definitely struggled a lot with my hubby (fiancé at the time) and we sort of fought like cats and dogs until we figured out a good rhythm. I'm really not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you know that it is NORMAL!!!!

Hang in there. I was super emotional starting law school, too, haha! It's a big change, but you will do GREAT!

Laura @ The Steen Style said...

Hang in there - totally normal for some issues to occur when you move in together! Learning how to balance is a process that will take a while but will work! Good luck!!

Ashley said...

You are going to do great in law school. I just started grad school about a month ago and it has been an adjustment but as long as you stay on top of things you will do just fine!

Dont worry about moving in with the boy. I did the SAME thing with my hubby like two years ago. It was an adjustment but as long as you communicate about everything then things will be good! You should split the responsibilities so neither one of you feels overwhelmed by living together. Good luck with moving and just think this a new chapter in your life with the boy...it will help you see the future with the boy.

AVONLadyinSC said...

Good luck with starting law school and living with the boy. I'm sure you'll have a few ups and downs but no relationship is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I know things will turn out okay for you! I'm really nervous about starting law school, too! We are beginning Orientation this week.

GingerSnap said...

Law school is a big challenge, but if you work hard and keep on top of all the reading you'll have, you will do just fine! please email me if you need any advice or have questions! I just went through it all and now that I'm on the other side I know it's the most "fun" I never want to have again! :)

P.S. Make sure to keep time open to talk and see your family during law school - they are the ones that helped you get to where you are and when all that work starts piling up its easy to want to postpone family time. Don't. It's important to keep balance! :)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Sounds like fun~ the party that is. Law school? Ahh, it will be great! A good friend of mine starts next week in D.C! I can't wait to hear more!

LWLH said...

You'll find your groove after moving in with the BF but it takes some time...everyone fights but it's just how you get through it that matters.

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, your bf is starting law school too. That was just the situation R and I were in last year-- we moved in together and both started 1L. It was scary, but it turned out amazing. He will be there to vent (and to vent to you) when you need it, and above everything, he will uniquely understand what you're going through (something that no friends outside of law school and your family will NOT get). Here are two things I learned from living with R this year that made things go smoothly:

1. Remember that he is not just your boyfriend-- he is your roommate. I have to remember sometimes that R loves me, yes, but he might not love the pile of shoes I left in the living room... This just helps keep things running smoothly.

2. Also-- a little appreciation goes a long way. You will both be busy and stressed-- if you make sure to say thank you when he does the dishes or folds the laundry-- it makes everyone feel better. He will do the same.

You are going to do great in school! The hardest thing for me was remembering that I deserved to be there. First semester I kept doubting myself, calling my dad and telling him that I was the dumbest person in class...etc...when I wasn't! It's sometimes hard to remember that you earned your spot. If you remember this, you will be fine!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! :)

Mrs. Hanson said...

Aww! Good luck with the move, everything will be fine. Seriously I had the same stress and anxiety before I moved in with my boyfriend. The night before we were supposed to move in I wanted to kill him or break up with him because things were just SO awful from when we signed the lease (we lived together in his condo that I wasn't signed to for a month because my apartment got rented out from under my feet!!) to the day and a half later when we moved out of our previous living situation.

It was a struggle at first, yes. But we learned how to fight and live together at the same time. We also learned to keep open communication about decorations or cleanliness of one another... you know, just because you won't always love his behavior as he doesn't always love mine.

Good luck girlie! Everything will be ok!

Kristen said...

Glad you enjoyed your cookout... I start my 2L year next week, and am already getting fidgety about it. You will do fine... and it will go by so quickly. Promise.