Tuesday, August 18, 2009

HELP: Law School Wardrobe Dilemma

This is a question for all my readers in law school:

What does one typically wear to class in law school?

C and I have been discussing this matter as we pack and get ready for the big move and the beginning of 1L. Obviously in college I rolled to class half asleep at times, wearing the sweats and/or dress/walk of shame outfit I slept in. But what's the protocol here for law school? Are sweatpants frowned upon? What about jeans with rips in them? A friend of mine has to wear business attire to her first day of classes next week! Yikes.

I am in the dark here, and I need some advice from those more experienced than I!!! :) Help me out, girls!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wear jeans normally. You don't have to dress up-- you don't want to be "that" person, but you shouldn't wear sweats or like college t-shirts.

Kristen said...

It depends on your school... for the first week, until you get a feel for what's okay, jeans, casual is fine. There were people in my class who got all dressed up, but they were "those people." I have been known to roll into class in sweats, and around finals time a lot of people do. But my wardrobe is mostly jeans and tees.

bellamartinelli said...

I remember my first day of law school!!! I think that a nice pair of darkwash jeans, flats and a cute top will be fine. You want to look like an adult, but not like you are trying to hard... think J. Crew. Whatever you wear, make sure that you are comfortable. Confidence is important to have in law school! Good Luck!

Law and Fashion said...

You can really wear anything you feel comfortable in! I usually stick with jeans and a t-shirt but there are a LOT of people that roll in wearing sweats/sweatshirts. You aren't going to be graded in any way on what you're wearing (and honestly, the profs don't really care so long as there isn't a special event--alumni, oci, etc.--going on)so just wear something you are comfortable in.

LawGirl said...

At my school none of the girls really wear sweats, at all. Some wear jeans and t-shirts. Most just wear jeans and cute tops. My first week of law school it was really hot, so I just wore cute, more casual sundresses and cardigans (the classrooms at my school were always cold). I personally prefer to wear sundresses when it's warm because I'm more comfortable, then just jeans the rest of the time. The only time people really dressed up was if they had an interview or a job during the semester.

Anonymous said...

i'm a little more dressy than your average bear, so a lot of times i'll wear a dress and low key heels, but i also wear jeans a fair amount, and my jcrew riding boots might as well be my uniform.

ahhh...1L! you're going to have a blast.

Danielle A. Curtiss, JD said...

it's sort of funny. people get progressively more casual as the semester goes on. jeans and a cute top will work though :) that's what i wear. however, once it gets closer to finals, people start to show up in sweats, wearing their glasses, with no makeup :) but yeah, no business casual unless you really want to :) you want to be comfortable though!

Hallie said...

I second what BellaMartinelli said...
I remember my good friend and I discussing this at ridiculous length in the weeks before school started.

Don't show up in Victoria's Secret sweatpants and your college sorority t-shirt/sweatshirt. You'll look like an asshole.
On a second note - don't wear that, ever. You'll look like an asshole.

People usually end up kinda scrubby looking towards finals, but at first I would definitely say nice jeans, nice flats, and a polo-type shirt (depending on the climate of where you're going to school! If you're in school in Houston, jeans are probably not a good option, but wear something similar).

GOOD LUCK!

The Mothership Abroad said...

I normally wear a cardigan and white singlet with dark jeans that sort of thing.

d.a.r. said...

IT really depends. Some people wear jeans and goodies and others dress up more. Lots of the second and third years will be working as well and show up in suits. I usually wore jeans and flats and a cute top unless I was coming or going from work.

Mommy, Esq. said...

As others have said, I'm sure it depends largely on your school. I attended a state school in the south. What I learned is that:
1. DO NOT WEAR A HAT!!! This probably goes without needing to be said, but ask the poor bastard who wearing his grungy ball cap on the first day of Torts, and I am sure he would have appreciated the heads up.
2. You can't go wrong with business casual at first...just to test the waters. You don't want to be the girl who takes herself too seriously, or the one who doesn't take herself seriously enough!
3. Assuming your school employs the Socratic method, you might get called on to stand in front of class on the first day. So, look cute. Do your hair; do your makeup; and wear something that wont show that you are sweating (you never know!).

Them's my 2 cents. Good luck!!!

GingerSnap said...

Honestly, there is no difference between law school dress and undergrad dress. It's REALLY casual - trust me!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've seen people in sweats, but I really have seen just about anything else you can imagine these past two days. One or two people might wear a suit. A few more have on business casual. But most people have on jeans with cute tops or skirts and polos. I have been wearing sundresses with cardigans just because it's so hot here.

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

Wear something that makes you feel confident & ready to learn!

ms. mindless said...

my husband is in law school and i spend a lot of time on his campus going to the gym or eating meals with him when he is really busy and we need to see one another! you can probably get away with wearing anything you want. if your school is more of a city school, i would say no sweats, but otherwise, i bet jeans are fine. i only notice a few girls in sweats, late night, going to and from the gym or library and they are few and far between. but, i see a lot of jean/fleece combos as well! good luck, you will be fine!

Cowgirl in the City said...

On my second week as a 1L... whatever works. Jeans and a nice top for girls seems to be standard. Some girls are wearing sassy summer dresses which I think might be better on a beach than a classroom... and others are dressed up like they are trying to be the professor.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear more about it!