Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of 1L..

Today is our first official day of classes! We have had orientation all week, which has been terrifying to say the least. I really believe they just try to scare the hell out of you before classes start. Maybe they just want to cover all the bases so no one is really that surprised by the difficulty of law school.

But first let's backtrack so I can update you on all the stuff that has happened since my last (very distant) post! I apologize for that, by the way. I have totally been neglecting this blog but I think I have pretty fair reasoning! Here are all the updates:

- We moved to Bryn Mawr on Friday the 21st. The drive down here (from Rhode Island) was hellish, and immediately upon my arrival in the apartment my mother and I went on Travelocity and figured out the best deal on flying back to New England for the holidays. I am not making that drive (especially alone) ever again.

- The actual move in went very well. We live in a large apartment complex so we had a loading dock and free use of the freight elevator from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM that Friday. Thankfully my Dad and C's dad were here to help! I'm not so sure how well it would have gone without them....

- Then we had the whole weekend to unpack our lives into our NEW HOME! We decorated a bit, hit Ikea to spend my $100 gift certificate on all the miscellaneous stuff we needed. We got EVERYTHING we needed and our total was $95.65. How perfect? Of course we had to have Swedish Meatballs after our shopping excursion. Highly recommend the Ikea food court. It's cheap and yummy!

- The biggest problem I've encountered so far is closet space. I ran out of hangers with a few boxes of clothes left to unpack, so I had to locate the closest WalMart (Target SUCKS here, much to my dismay!) and purchase 50 or 60 hangers. And don't worry, because I ran out of those and now I need to make yet another trip to buy more.

- Life with C has been great though. We love living together! It's so fun to enjoy the simple things like drinking coffee together in the morning and going to bed at night. We LOVE dinner time, it's definitely our favorite time of the day. I have been trying to be a good cook, but C always prevails as the obvious expert. It's so fun having a boyfriend who loves to cook!

- That's about all for now, I start my first day of real classes today. I will be sure to stop neglecting you so badly and post my updates as soon as possible!!

Until then,

22 comments:

Erin said...

Yay! Glad everything is going smoothly so far!

Jackie said...

Good luck! My husband starts his second year on Monday, but it feels like he has been in school for weeks because he has been applying and interviewing for summer associate positions. You will have that to look forward to soon!

carrie1 said...

Good Luck with school! =)

Anonymous said...

Good luck today! I know you'll do fine. And I'm glad you are situated in your new home and everything is working out!

Mrs. Hanson said...

Yay Glad everything is going well :) SO glad to hear that living together is going well for you too and the perks of having a boy to cook for is awesome, huh? My boyfriend does the same and I love, love, love it!

B said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to say good luck with your first day!

Kate said...

Good luck on your first day! You are going to totally rock it!

LawGirl said...

Good luck! I found that law school wasn't as scary as they made it seem at orientation. First semester is rough but just work your butt off and you will be fine!

Kell said...

Me and my boyfriend go to ikea ALL THE TIME to eat! haha it's so cheap and the food is sooo good! try their mac and cheese if you get a chance, you will not be disappointed! :) also helps that their store is full of wonderfully cute, modern, and INEXPENSIVE things!

xoxo

Jessica said...

How exciting!
I started classes on Monday.
It's nice to read another person's thoughts, who is going through the same journey!

I joined your blog, and look forward to reading more :)

Jessica

Cowgirl in the City said...

Since I started two weeks ago, I totally feel your pain. Orientation and the first classes of everything were the worst I think. By the end of the first week, I honestly felt like I would survive.

Good luck!

Kristen said...

So glad everything is going smoothly... and yes, my experience taught me the orientation is much harder and meaner than the actual classes are. And you're so lucky to have someone with you as you start this new adventure. When I started law school, I was all alone... which made it tougher. Can't wait to hear how your first day of classes went!!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

YAY congratulations on your first day of law school! Aww, I remember mine... I secretly loved first year. I hope you do, too :)

Breadwinner Wife said...

My husband started his first year of law school last week! It's a lot of work but it's worth it! Good luck!

Law and Fashion said...

Good luck with your first year! It will probably all be a little overwhelming at first but just take everything as it comes and give everything the time it deserves and you will be fine! If you ever need any advice feel free to shoot me an email :)

LWLH said...

Glad everything is going good for you and good luck with school! :)

Laura @ The Steen Style said...

So happy it is going well for you!! Good luck with classes and getting adjusted to the new town and life. I am in disbelief that Target sucks though - really!? That makes me so sad.

d.a.r. said...

Good luck!! You are going to do great!

SKBPINKGREEN said...

Good luck with school. I am sure you will start to love your apartment and school as much as you can. It always takes a little while, but eventually it will feel like home!

Unknown said...

Just found your blog...it's great! Good luck with your school year. Sounds like your living situation is going FAB.U.LOUSLY ♥ Closet space is always the killer. Hangers are a constant need as we are girls and shopping is what we do :)- lol

Kate said...

My best friend just started law school too. I am hoping to get her guest blogging-we'll see!

Summer Athena said...

yay for you! things seem to be going really well! that is great esp when you are starting out in law school. i remember husband's first year. whew...