Monday, August 17, 2009

So Much To Do, So Little Time!

Today I need to hightail it over to U-haul to get lots of moving boxes, then hopefully get most of my stuff (at least everything besides clothes) packed up tonight. I really did put off moving til the last minute. Now here I am, school starts in a week, I'm moving on Friday, and I haven't put a dent in packing or my summer reading assignments.

For my summer reading, I just have to go over a few articles about how to read a court opinion and brief a case, then they want us to take a stab at briefing Arizona v. Gant, which shouldn't be too difficult. I'm sure they are not expecting it to be perfect!

And last but not least, here is my latest dilemma: my boss (50+ years old, divorced) wants to take me out to dinner tomorrow night since I'm leaving basically for good on Friday. I've been his receptionist and then his secretary for about three years now. We have a completely innocent relationship obviously, but is this an okay thing to do? Having dinner with your much older boss? I feel like I'm going to look like a young gold dinner going out to eat with him. He said I can pick any restaurant I want. Ooh the pressure! Things like this make me SO anxious.

Thoughts on this?!

8 comments:

SouthernBelleJM said...

If you feel uncomfortable, maybe you could suggest lunch if y'all aren't too busy in court.

Or, if you and your boss have a good relationship, I'd say have dinner. He'll be a good rec for you.

Kristen said...

I think the dinner sounds perfectly innocent- drive separate, don't drink too much and call it a night after dinner is done. No worries.
I just bought a few of my books for this semester... I remember working on my 1st brief. Don't get frustrated- the first case I read required about five re-reads, and just a year later I can read a case once through, brief it in about 5 minutes and am good to go. Practice makes perfect!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I agree 110% with what Miss Southern Belle said.

LWLH said...

I ditto Southern Belle...only go if your comfortable! :)

Danielle A. Curtiss, JD said...

hi! I am a new reader-just wanted to let you know I am out there. I'm a second-year law student, so I can completely sympathize with all of the law school related stuff. Yeah, definitely do not stress about the reading assignment. Once you start, you'll get it all piled on anyways, so just enjoy your last few days of freedom :)

What Kate Wore said...

Good heavens Miss LP&G, it seems like the start of Law School just arrived! Poof, end of summer! Yikes!

We agree with everyone else on dinner, if you are comfortable and think you would enjoy yourself, by all means, go and have a good time. (But do drive yourself there, don't be reliant upon him for transportation.)

Congratulations on being almost at the end of the road for this chapter of your life!
tp

Anonymous said...

Those sound like good summer assignments. We were assigned to read a sort of law school survival guide, and we're having a one credit pass/fail class for four days. I hope it's as helpful as your assignments sound.

Anonymous said...

OMG you're going to Uhaul for boxes. If you had more time, I'd suggest usedcardboardboxes.com as they're way cheaper. Plus they even throw in free delivery. Definitely a godsend when you don't want to be lugging around a bunch of boxes.

I totally agree with what others have said here. Dinner shouldn't be a big deal, but drive separately, don't stay out too late, and keep it professional. And I'd say don't pick somewhere too expensive. :P